Some of you may ask why I included CreateSpace as a link on this site. I did that because I decided to self-publish my memoir through this company, which is a subsidiary of Amazon.
Self-publishing - and my experience with it - is a topic I intend to start writing about as soon as my book goes on sale. For now, it looks good. Why? Self-publishing is a fascinating and expanding opportunity for new and established writers. It bypasses much of the "gatekeeper mentality" of the traditional publishing world. Self-publishing allows you to get your work out in a fast and timely manner, rather than waiting years to hear back from a literary agent or publisher whether your book has been accepted or rejected.
I don't know about you, but it takes long enough to write a book . . . having to wait more years just to see if it might ever see the light of day, is not something I had in mind as a writer.
In addition, there is complete creative control with self-publishing, as well as the opportunity to make more money from book sales than the traditional route. Yes, it is a lot of work in terms of marketing your book, but in today's world of publishing, marketing falls on the author in any case.
If you have self-published or been published through a traditional press, please, please share your experiences in the comment section. Blogging can be a lonely exercise.
Thanks very much,
Books, Events and Services
- 2019 Membership To Women's Writing Circle
- Circle Read Arounds
- So You Want To Write A Memoir
- Editing Services
- A PORTRAIT OF LOVE AND HONOR
- Preview - Again In a Heartbeat
- Reviews - Morning at Wellington Square
- The Life Unexpected: An Anthology of Stories and Poems
- Talks on Memoir
- From Readers of Again In a Heartbeat
- Guidelines For Guest Bloggers
- Critique Group
- Workshops and Retreats
- Crafting Compelling Scenes in Memoir or Fiction
- Africa Writing Retreat and Safari: March 2020