At our workshop, "Journaling: A Voyage of Self-Discovery," Kathy taught us:
- Establish a habit and commit on a daily basis to writing in your journal.
- Make a space where you can write and relax without interruption.
- Give yourself credit for writing in your journal. It takes commitment and courage.
- Realize that the "roadmap" of your story may take time to reveal itself.
- Give yourself unconditional acceptance and honor your desire to write.
- Write without an eye toward your inner critic. A journal is your safe place, a repository for thoughts. A journal is for your eyes only.
- Realize that medical science has proven that journaling helps you become a healthier person and improves your immune system.
- Journal vignettes often point the way to a larger narrative and can be incorporated into a future memoir project.